WHO IS THIS GUY?
Joe Baur is an American travel author, writer, filmmaker and podcaster whose work has appeared in a variety of domestic and international outlets, including Matador Network, BBC Travel, Viator, and CraftBeer.com to name a few. He’s also the author of various Falcon Guides titles and 2016’sTalking Tico: (Mis)adventures of a Gringo in and Around Costa Rica
Following a year of living in Costa Rica, where he joined The Tico Times staff and contributed travel content, Joe returned to the United States and launched the Without A Path travel podcast, featuring conversations with fellow travelers on the experiences that have most shaped their lives. In August 2016 he relocated to Düsseldorf where he co-hosts the trivago Podcast and continues to pursue unique travel stories with a preference for getting off the beaten path.
I’ve been known to string words together and form sentences in a public forum, some even say to the benefit of the listening public. So let’s chat about having me speak to your group on a variety of topics, including travel writing, storytelling, sustainable travel, tourism working with travel media, ethical travel or whatever else we can concoct together. Some personal favorites include travel writing, storytelling, sustainable travel, how tourism can work with travel media, ethical travel, language learning, the importance of making your destination car-free accessible, and traveling in an age of perceived danger. Previously I’ve spoken at an event hosted by North Dakota tourism about my personal experiences and digital storytelling, combined with a sponsored trip resulting in video, photographic, and editorial content.
“Joe presented to our North Dakota Writers and Bloggers group and shared some amazing experiences as well as provided insightful tips and tricks on capturing unique stories. His delivery was spot-on and attendees walked away inspired to create engaging content.” — Kim Schmidt, Public & Media Relations Manager at the North Dakota Department of Commerce – Tourism Division
WHAT THEY’RE SAYING
Sometimes I’m asked questions by other journalists. Here’s a sampling of published interviews and podcast appearances.
- Destination on the Left: Have a Real, Authentic Experience with Joe Baur
- How to Find Unique Travel Stories with Joe Baur
- From Cleveland to Costa Rica and Beyond: Talking Travel with Joe Baur
- Escape Artist Q&A: Joe Baur of Without a Path
- The World As I See It
- Travel Massive Dusseldorf Learns About Costa Rica with Joe Baur
- You Could Travel
- Morgenroutinen (auf Deutsch)
- The Thoughtful Travel Podcast: Christmas Travels
- Books by People I Know: “Talking Tico“
- The Thoughtful Travel Podcast: Reasons to Love Japan
- On My Kindle
- Travel Style by Johnny Jet
- #TRLT Traveller
- Honduras Tips (en español)
- The Thoughtful Travel Podcast: Smashing Stereotypes
- The Thoughtful Travel Podcast: The Magic of Getting Lost
This is a creative outlet. If you have something in mind you’d like to discuss, don’t be shy. In fact, let’s go outside the box together. After all, there’s nothing wrong with a little crazy. Click here to contact me and click here for Without A Path’s 2018 Media Kit.